Saturday, December 10, 2011

Birthday Blankets

In the beginning of this year, I took a break from making crocheted animals so I could make blankets for each of my four kids for their birthdays.  I planned on allowing myself two months to complete each blanket.  The first one worked out pretty close to the plan.  That was in March.  The next birthday came in August, so I had a nice five month spread, which, of course, gave me plenty of time to work on that one.  Unfortunately, I ended up procrastinating and only left myself six weeks before my sons birthday to complete it!  I finished just in time!  The next birthday was in November, and I was able to follow my two month plan again.  I realized I had a problem by the last birthday because it falls in December...only one month after the previous birthday!  That also has left me with no time to make any Christmas gifts this year.  Oops!  My daughter's birthday is on the 18th.  I am half-way through the blanket with only 8 days left!  My hands will be getting a serious work-out this week for sure!  I WILL finish (I think I can, I think I can...)!

Along the way, I have learned new stitches and techniques with each style of blanket.  I learned how to make long stitches, granny squares (SO many!), block-stitches, and ripples.  Blankets take such a long time to complete, and it can get really monotonous.  Having the challenge of new stitching techniques as well as frequent color changes has helped to keep it interesting!

It has been a fun year creating such special gifts that my children  will be able to use even through their adulthood.  I made all of them large enough for that very reason.  These are a one-time thing for me!  I still have an afghan my grandma made for me when I was a child, as well as a baby blanket my mom made.  Now my kids cuddle-up in them.  They carry so much meaning to me.  I hope my kids will enjoy theirs just the same.

I am curious about other people's experiences with Afghans.  Have you made any for personal use, or given them as gifts? How did the recipient react? What patterns and colors were used?  Have you received any as gifts?  What occasions were they for?  I would love to see your pictures, if you'd like to share!


The Happy Recipients! (one more to go.......)





3 comments:

  1. I love your thought about making these as something that they will carry with them through adulthood. I guess I never really thought about how much love and memories there can be in a blanket.

    Right now I'm using a quilt that my grandma made for me in the wedding ring design. She made it as a wedding present.

    I have the baby blanket that my great Grandma made for my dad...that my grandma gave me for Isaac.

    I have a fleece blanket that my mom gave me when I had eye surgery in the 9th grade. That one wasn't store bought, but it carries a lot of significance for me.

    I guess one reason why blankets carry so much significance is because they bring us so much comfort. What a blessing to be able to comfort your children in this way. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the fleece blanket comment, it should read: "That one was store bought, but it still carries a lot of significance for me." (Sleep deprivation....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's the time and love put into it, along with the comfort. It's a part of the person who made it too. When I see the blanket from my grandma, I feel like, even though she's gone, a physical part of her is still with me. When I pass, I hope my kids will feel my love wrapped around them in those blankets.


    Glad you cleared that up about the fleece blanket...I was confused! lol

    ReplyDelete