Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pajama Boots

I am just having too much fun with this “Fabric-by-Fabric One Yard Wonders” book! This time I chose a pattern with my teenage daughter in mind. Using one yard of 60” fleece, I made the “Pajama Boots”. No bias tape in this one! Just fabric and thread. Easy peesy!

These were really fun to make. I love the softness of the fleece and found it very easy to cut. I would say the prep work on this is what took the most time. There were a lot of pieces to cut out. They can be made in sizes 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10, with a regular calf size or a larger calf size. I finally had a calf piece, a sole, and an upper shoe piece. The pattern includes use of a lining, so I had to cut four of each piece.


In my experience with fleece in the past, I had trouble with the fabric bunching up and the stitches turning into one messy glob.




With this book, I learned to use the walking presser foot;

a zig-zag stitch for extra stability due to the stretch of the material; and to use a 3mm stitch length. I couldn’t have been happier with the effect those changes had in making fleece a cinch to use!

Once the sewing began, and I saw the material transforming into boots, I really felt overjoyed that I could create something so fun and cool! I had to repeat the process four times in order to have two exterior boots with lining in each one. Phew!























I am very happy with the results of this project. I may make more and add them to my Etsy shop. What do you think?

What is your experience with fleece? What have you made?

As always, I would LOVE to see pics! Please share...

1 comment:

  1. I just saw this pattern browsing through the books at my bookstore. The pattern caught my eye b/c they look so cozy! Yours turned out super cute. I always have cold feet in the winter, hard to imagine with our 100degree weather this week! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete