Saturday, January 28, 2012

Bookshelf Peek of the Week #6




"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Amigurumi", by June Gilbank, is definitely the essential guidebook to have for both the beginner and the well-seasoned Amigurumi artist. The author provides complete details for everything you need to begin. She discusses the various types of hooks, stitch markers, yarn, needles, stuffing, eyes, and possible embellishments you can use.

The book is divided into three main parts. In part one, for the beginner; she explains the basics, along with wonderful step-by-step photographs to aid in your understanding of the instructions. As an added bonus, June also provides video tutorials on her website, PlanetJune.com. I must confess that in reading these basics, I learned some new ways to improve my technique. SO, I really encourage even the well-seasoned crocheters to read through it all. There is always room for improvement!

In part two, you will learn shaping, color changing, stuffing, assembly, posing, and working with novelty yarns (the fuzzy and textured types). What I love about this section is the way June expresses the unlimited possibilities for creating your own designs with just a few basic methods. I feel inspired to get creative and allow my own artistic talent to come out into a design, while my usual tendency is to keep it hidden under the ease of using a pattern! Many fun ideas are surfacing for me, especially after reading part three.

In part three she instructs on the finishing touches. This is where your Ami really comes to life! From exciting options for eyes, hair styles, and a thorough look into embellishing. June makes it feel quite possible to create your own unique designs.

The last section of the book is filled with a handful of super cute patterns to get you going. The author has designed these patterns with your own creativity in mind as she leaves plenty of options for color changing, hair, and more.

Whether you make amigurumi with a pattern or design your own, your individual style is sure to shine, and you will feel so proud of such an accomplishment! Go ahead...give it a try!!!

By the way…June is my absolute favorite crochet artist! I will blog more about that another time, but for now, please take a look at the patterns she sells on her website,PlanetJune.com. It’s the first place I go for patterns (as you may notice from my Etsy shop)! They are all very cute and realistic. Plus, her step-by-step instructions are phenomenal!! Click…click…click! I promise you will LOVE it!!!

*After you take a look, please come back and share your thoughts...* THANKS!

2 comments:

  1. I am going to be making my first attempt at amigurumi next week. I am making owls for my daughter's Harry Potter birthday party invitations. Good luck me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Way to go all out on an invitation. I would LOVE to see how they turn out! I'm sure you'll be posting that on your blog! : ) Hope it goes well! Be careful...it's super ADDICTING! HA!!

      Delete