Thursday, January 5, 2012

Swaddle Blanket

In my first “Pick of the Week” post, I mentioned my desire to make the “Swaddle Blanket” from “Fabric-by-Fabric One Yard Wonders”. I am thrilled to say I bought that flannel and made one! I only had to buy one yard of fabric, a spool of coordinating thread, and a couple packs of bias tape.

Unfortunately, the project did not go as smoothly as I had anticipated. I barely had enough fabric. I ended up having to keep an unsightly selvage end (with the brand printed on it) on my cut piece. I sewed an extra bit of bias tape to cover it up, which still didn’t help the look much. I found working with the bias tape so extremely tedious. It outlines the whole blanket and there are quite a few curves to deal with. The constant pinning looked like I was performing acupuncture on the thing! This about drove me nuts! I did finally get the hang of it by the end, but the blanket is a ridiculous mess. For example:











The fabric is pretty and I do love the concept of the design.
Here's the idea:





For some reason, I feel like giving it another try. I may just be crazy! I do believe in second chances, and hope I will have a better experience next time. Besides, there is a huge sale on flannel that I want to get in on! I did enjoy working with a new material. Wish me well on my second time around!

Do share……

Have you worked with flannel? What was your experience?

Any tips on working with an insane amount of bias tape with curves and 90 degree angles???

No comments:

Post a Comment